Alexander The Great said a sentence easily applicable to illustrate many moments in history: “Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all”.
In the beginning of this complicated year for everybody, we set ourselves a challenge. Implementing a series of measures that we could apply in New Tandem, both in and outside our offices, to contribute for a more sustainable development.
The ten ideas with which we decided to start this year are, likewise, contributions towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) marked by Agenda 2030.
On September 25, 2015, political leaders decided to adopt a series of common objectives. That’s how, more than five years ago, SDGs were set. 17 concrete measures towards a future without poverty, where prosperity becomes a global possibility and also, the planet is protected against climate change.
New Tandem’s measures to reach Agenda 2030 SDGs
Thus, here is how our ten contributions are directly linked to many of Agenda 2030 SDGs.
- Promoting fair working conditions and safe and healthy environments for all New Tandem workers. SDG 3: Good health and well-being; SDG 8: Decent work and economic growth.
- Defending the gender equality and promoting the hiring of women, boosting female talent to reduce the existing gap. SDG 5: Gender equality; SDG 10: Reducing inequalities.
- Training in technological innovation to create more sustainable processes. SDG 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure; SDG 12: Responsible production and consumption.
- Recycling (toner, printer cartridges) and waste sorting. SDG 11: Sustainable cities and communities; SDG 12: Responsible production and consumption.
- Raising awareness about energy savings in our offices. SDG 7: Affordable and clean energy; SDG 12: Responsible production and consumption.
- Removing single use plastic in our offices. SDG 12: Responsible production and consumption; SDG 13: Climate action.
- Reduction of paper consumption by printing what is strictly necessary. SDG 11: Sustainable cities and communities; SDG 13: Climate action.
- Promotion of sport, art and culture. “Mens sana in corpore sano”. SDG 3: Good health and well-being; SDG 4: Quality education.
- Contributing to the economic support of NGOs through periodic donations. SDG 1: No poverty; SDG 10: Reducing inequalities.
- Facilitating the participation of employees in volunteer work. SDG 3: Good health and well-being; SDG 8: Decent work and economic growth.
A task for all society
The different actions we have carried out during this year (and we will carry during 2021 as well) are small gestures which, one by one, help to raise awareness and to reach, bit by bit, the big objectives of the next decade.
Still, thinking again about the famous quote by Alexander The Great, there is a long way to go. It is necessary that every member of society is aware of his or her importance, because without individual responsibility, it’s impossible to reach a collective objective.
This long and atypical year is about to end and our measures have been a further reason for our employees to be proud of working in New Tandem. Moreover, an additional cause for our clients to choose us as their partners in their HR activity. And, above all, a small contribution towards a better future.